Abigail
I used to be one of those who scorned mothers who pulled their children out of mainstream schools either because they "wanted an alternative education for their children" or "Singapore's education system is just too stressful".  I thought that these mothers were weak and allowed their children to cop out.

I repent now.

After becoming a mother myself, I am starting to seriously think what I want to subject Kyra to.   I am a pretty successful product of the education system.  As a teacher, I also know how to work the system.

But I'm not sure anymore.  Being a tutor to primary school students has opened my eyes to an entire world of absurdity.  I've learned that being in a branded school is not enough.  To go the full mile, one needs to get our children into a branded enrichment centre (one that has a waiting list).  Every other child in the "branded" primary school is taking enrichment lessons so, to be ahead of the pack, one must take even more enrichment lessons than the others.  Truly, education is for those who have the means to give their children the exposure.  This leads to the question of... But what happens to those who don't?

I am fearful - Fearful that I will eventually go with the tide, fearful that I will give into fear, fearful that I will act out of fear, fearful that I will not make the right decision, whatever that is.  I don't quite see the point of pushing my child to the best school, to fight tooth and nail to get into the best secondary school / junior college, only to come out and be a cog in this whole smooth Singapore economy machine.  Then again, it's the safe route.  I am a parent.  I ought to provide the best in my means for my child right?

You see the fear and confusion?  So much of the education and child-related industries play on the fear of parents of not providing their best, even if "best" means shelling out every last cent of disposable income, disregarding the opportunity cost.  

Back to whether to push Kyra to be a cog.  Her mother is a cog and I know what I'm talking about.  It isn't half bad if God has called Kyra to be a cog and she's leading a fulfilling cog's life.  (Is it an oxymoron to have a fulfilling cog's life?)  It's another to play God and push her towards the destiny of a cog, just becomes this seems to be the "best route" for surviving in Singapore.

The answer suddenly becomes clear in theory.  If God did not let Kyra be a cog, then I shouldn't push her to be one.  How then, do I know?  I'd better pray and make sure I listen to God correctly.  When I hear God, then the answer will become crystal clear.  God will also show me how to help her get there.

I pray God will speak to all mothers and fathers (and in His mercy, help us to listen and obey) to help us help our children fulfill their destiny.
Labels: ,
0 Responses

Post a Comment